Friday, December 08, 2006

Keg pics

Well, I finished off the keg of Heffe Weissen and now I have about 1/2 keg of the Alt left.

I have a new batch ready to go into the keg this weekend. It's a bit of a mystery beer because I messed up the recipe. I was trying to something like a Guinness for the first time. The recipe called for flaked barley as well as roasted barley and black malt grains. When I bought the ingredients I forgot the roasted barley. I figured I'd just make it with out and see how it comes out. I found that when you use flaked barley you need to do a 'mini-mash' to convert the starches to sugars. I did this, but here is where the problem started.

I found out that when you do a mash, you need 'base-malts' in the mash to convert the starches to sugars. That was the roasted barley that I forgot to buy. So, long story short, I'm going to end up with some starches in the beer. I haven't been able to determine from asking on the brew boards what this will do to the final product. All I've been able to determine so far is that there 'may' be some 'off' flavors in the batch. I'll find out soon enough.

Here is a pic of the kegerator.


Post a Comment

<< Home