Monday, May 01, 2006

A New Brew.

I brewed again this weekend. I re-pitched the Heffe yeast from my 'Heffe Weistrophy'(which has smoothed out nicely now) to make a Dunkel Weis.

Everything went well except that I almost forgot to put the DME in! I steeped some grains before boil (1/2lb chocolate + 1/4lb German Munich) after it had boiled for about 5 min I put the hops in and about 5min after that I realized that I forgot the DME. So I put that in (7lb Wheat DME) and boiled one hour from there. I put 2oz of Mt. Hood in for 60min and about 1oz of haullertau at 15min from EOB. I pitched the yeast with no starter, just pulled the jar out of the fridge at the start of brewing and shook up and pitched when the wort cooled. I put it in the primary with a blow off tube just to be safe. The temp was a little lower than I expected (55-58F) and I didn't see any fermentation for almost 2 days. But, it is now bubbling along and I think everything should be good. The O.G. was about 1.062-1.064

The 'Heffe Weistrophy' is really smoothed out now and has a very nice taste.

My #3 batch (the Osmosis Amoebas Alt) is still in the secondary and I will bottle soon. (Got to hurry, I only have about 24 bottles of the 'Heffe Weistrophy' left and 4 of the 'Squirrel Nut Brown Ale', to last me the next two weeks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home