Monday, April 17, 2006

Surprise!

I woke up to a surprise yesterday morning. The air lock on the fermenter was full of beer and foam. The top of the pail was ballooned out. I took the air lock off and put a blow off tube on (It's not a very good blow off tube, all I had was some 3/8 tubing and the air lock to make it out of).

Even after that I had so much yeast activity that the top was on the verge of blowing off. It was leaking out of a couple spots. I had to crack the top several times to relieve the pressure.

By this morning everything was good. The lid does not seem to be leaking any more and the blow off tube is bubbling nicely.

I moved the fermenter down to the bottom of the stairwell where the temp is in the mid-60's.

This was supposed to be in primary for a week or so and then to secondary for two weeks at 55deg. I'll have to keep checking the temp. If I can't keep it at a fairly low temp, then there is no real reason to leave it in secondary for that long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home